Welcome to the ultimate guide on how to grill the perfect grilled chicken drumstick on a gas grill! As a passionate food enthusiast, I must admit that chicken drumsticks are an absolute favorite of mine.
There’s something irresistible about sinking your teeth into tender, juicy meat with a crispy, smoky exterior. Whether you’re hosting a backyard BBQ, a family gathering, or simply craving some scrumptious comfort food, grilled chicken drumsticks are sure to please.
The Allure of Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
Grilled chicken drumsticks have an unparalleled taste that appeals to all palates. The well-seasoned meat cooks beautifully on a gas grill, infusing it with a tantalizing smokiness that elevates the flavor. With the convenience of a gas grill, you can easily control the heat and achieve perfect cooking results.
Recommended Cooking Equipment
- Gas Grill: Opt for a gas grill with multiple burners, allowing you to create different heat zones for optimal cooking.
- Meat Thermometer: A reliable meat thermometer is essential to ensure your chicken reaches the right internal temperature for safe consumption.
- Grill Tongs: Long-handled grill tongs will help you flip and move the chicken without losing precious juices.
- Grill Brush: Keep your grill grates clean for better cooking and prevent any unwanted flavors from sticking to your chicken.
The Perfect Grilled Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- BBQ sauce (optional, for serving)
Preparation (15 minutes)
Step 1: Pat dry the chicken drumsticks using paper towels. Removing excess moisture ensures the skin gets crispy during grilling.
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, combine olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, dried rosemary, salt, and black pepper. This will serve as your seasoning mix.
Marination (30 minutes, Optional)
Step 3: Generously rub the seasoning mix over the chicken drumsticks, ensuring they are evenly coated. For better flavor penetration, you can marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, although this step is optional.
Preheat the Grill (5-10 minutes)
Step 4: Preheat your gas grill to medium-high heat, aiming for a temperature range of 375°F to 400°F.
Step 5: Use a brush to oil the grill grates. This prevents the chicken from sticking and makes flipping easier.
Cook the Chicken (20-25 minutes)
Step 6: Place the seasoned drumsticks on the grill. Close the lid to maintain a consistent temperature.
Step 7: Cook the drumsticks for 10-12 minutes per side. If you’re using a meat thermometer, the internal temperature should reach 165°F to ensure the chicken is fully cooked.
Add BBQ Glaze (2 minutes)
Step 8: During the last 2 minutes of grilling, baste the drumsticks with your favorite BBQ sauce, if using. This will add a flavorful glaze and a touch of sweetness.
Rest and Serve (3-5 minutes)
Step 9: Remove the chicken drumsticks from the grill and place them on a serving plate. Let them rest for 3-5 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute.
Step 10: Serve and enjoy your perfect grilled chicken drumsticks. Optionally, offer extra BBQ sauce on the side for dipping.
- If you choose to marinate the chicken, add an additional 30 minutes to the total time.
- Resting time is about 3-5 minutes, which allows the meat to become juicier.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 380mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 28g
Serving Suggestions and Suitable Side Dishes
Grilled chicken drumsticks pair well with a variety of side dishes. Here are some delicious options to consider:
- Grilled Corn on the Cob: Brush corn with melted butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and grill alongside the chicken for a delightful summer treat.
- Grilled Vegetable Skewers: Skewer bell peppers, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes, then brush with olive oil and seasonings before grilling.
- Classic Coleslaw: The crisp and creamy coleslaw complements the smoky flavors of the chicken perfectly.
Useful Tips for Perfect Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- Preheat the grill properly to ensure even cooking and prevent sticking.
- Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before serving to allow the juices to redistribute, resulting in a more flavorful and tender meat.
- Trim excess skin and fat from the drumsticks to reduce flare-ups and avoid excess grease.
- Monitor the grill temperature and internal temperature of the chicken using a meat thermometer for precise cooking.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
- Placing chicken directly over high heat can lead to charred exteriors and undercooked interiors. Create heat zones on your gas grill for better control.
- Opening the grill hood too frequently can cause fluctuations in temperature and prolong the cooking time.
Grilled chicken drumsticks on a gas grill are the epitome of flavor and convenience. With the right equipment, preparation, and attention to detail, you can create a memorable BBQ experience for your family and friends.
Experiment with different seasonings and serving suggestions to customize this dish to your liking. So, fire up the grill, follow the steps, and savor the succulent joy of perfectly grilled chicken drumsticks! Happy grilling!
You might also like:
- Unveiling the Best Grilled BBQ Chicken Recipe: From Ingredients to Serving
- Grill Like a Pro: Perfect Beer Can Chicken on a Gas Grill
- Grilling Chicken Breast on Gas Grill: A Beginner’s Guide
- Mediterranean-Style Grilled Whole Chicken, Succulent and Flavorful
- How to Grill Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs on Gas Grill
- How to Grill Chicken Wings on a Gas Grill: Easy Guide
- How to Grill Chicken Kabobs on a Gas Grill: A Delicious and Easy Recipe
- Rotisserie Chicken on Gas Grill: Easy Step-by-Step Guide
- Easy Smoked Chicken on Gas Grill: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Delicious Spatchcock Chicken on Gas Grill
How long to grill drumsticks on a gas grill?
On a gas grill preheated to medium-high heat (375°F to 400°F), it typically takes about 20-25 minutes to grill chicken drumsticks. Make sure to flip them at around the 10-12 minute mark for even cooking.
How long should I grill my chicken drumsticks?
The total grilling time for chicken drumsticks is generally 20-25 minutes. To ensure even cooking, flip them halfway through, around the 10-12 minute mark. Always check for an internal temperature of 165°F before serving.
How long and at what temperature do you grill chicken drumsticks?
Grill chicken drumsticks for 20-25 minutes at a medium-high heat range of 375°F to 400°F. Flip them halfway through the cooking time. Using a meat thermometer, ensure the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
How long to cook drumsticks on Weber gas grill?
If you’re using a Weber gas grill, the cooking time remains the same—about 20-25 minutes at medium-high heat (375°F to 400°F). Just like any other grill, flipping halfway and checking for an internal temperature of 165°F is essential.
How do I ensure moist and tender meat?
Achieve moist and tender meat by marinating the drumsticks in your favorite marinade for at least 2 hours before grilling. Marinades help tenderize the meat and infuse it with flavors.
Can I use the same recipe for other chicken parts?
Absolutely! This recipe works well with other chicken parts like thighs or wings. Adjust the cooking time accordingly for different sizes.
Is it safe to reheat leftover grilled chicken drumsticks?
Yes, it’s safe to reheat leftover drumsticks. Make sure to heat them to an internal temperature of 165°F to ensure they are safe for consumption.
How can I get crispy chicken legs without skin?
If you prefer skinless drumsticks, brush them with a light layer of oil before grilling to achieve a crispy texture.
Can I follow the same recipe for picky kids or elders with sensitive taste buds?
For picky eaters or sensitive taste buds, you can reduce the amount of seasoning or use a milder spice blend.
Can I grill chicken drumsticks without a gas grill?
Yes, you can grill drumsticks on a charcoal grill or even in the oven. Adjust the cooking time and temperature accordingly.
I’m Calvin Lamb, an LA-based culinary enthusiast with a decade’s experience in five-star kitchens. My innovative dishes, inspired by seasonal flavors and sustainable practices, blend classic and modern cuisine. Besides crafting unique culinary experiences, I relish exploring new eateries and devising fresh recipes.